Monday, June 20, 2011

Scriptures Stories- Nephi obtains the Brass Plates

Today we talked about how Nephi obtained the Brass Plates.  We watch the movie clip on http://www.lds.org/  and also looked at the pictures that pertained to this story on Scriptures4Kids.  Last week my children enjoyed having me draw out the story on our whiteboard so I did that again even though my drawing skills leave something to be desired.  We read 1 Nephi 3:7 and talked in particular about how we should follow Heavenly Father's commandments even though they may seem like a hard thing to do.  I also started teaching them the first verse of "Nephi's Courage" from the Children's Songbook. 
We also made these "brass plates".  I found a fruitsnack box and cut it so that it folded up like a book.  Then we covered it with aluminum foil and colored brown, then we wiped of the marker and it left the foil looking like more of a brassy color.  Another little activity we did to go along with this story was to cast lots since that is what Nephi and his brothers first do to see who has to go visit Laban the first time.  Of all the luck, I got the shortest stick!

No comments: