Friday, September 7, 2012

All About Me- Preschool Week 1

This week my oldest started 1st grade.  My middle son is 4 and will be 5 in a couple of weeks.  He is reading really well.  We spend 15 minutes a day having him read some of his favorite books to me.  This year I want him to start learning to cut and write better so we will take a little time each morning working on those skills.  He is doing pretty well at writing his name so we are working on every letter of the alphabet.  I was hesitant to give him worksheets since preschool age children learn through play, but he absolutely loves doing them so I am happy with that decision.
 On top of those things we also spent the week doing an "All About Me" theme because what kid doesn't like to hear about themselves?  We looked at pictures of him and talked about some of his favorite things.  We sang "Head, Shoulders, Knees and Toes" and talk a little about different body parts.

Will.i.am does a fun song on Sesame Street called "What I Am" my boys love that song and so we danced to it.  It is a catchy, fun song worth listening too.

I found this fun idea.  My son drew pictures of everything and I used squares instead of circles.  My son had a lot of fun doing this and it was a great way to go over the name of the city, state, and country we live in.
 We used this Emotions Face printable to talk about different emotions.  We read each one, talked about what it meant, and then he made a face to match the emotion.

We did this "I'm Special" book that had a lot of fun pages to color and fill out.

That pretty much wraps up our week.  I had my son help me think of themes he would like to do throughout the year.  He came up with some interesting things.  I should share it some time.  Anyway, should be a fun year.

No comments: