Tuesday, November 12, 2013

Family Preschool Theme

Today we talked about Family for preschool!
I have to admit my son was pretty bummed about our theme when I told him what we'd be talking about today.  I tried to entice him with fun things and so by the end I don't think he thought it was quite so lame, but he wasn't excited about it for sure.  

We talked about our family.  We looked at pictures of our immediate family and counted how many people we had in our family.  Then we looked at how many boys and how many girls were in our family.  I talked to him about how families come in different sizes and some kids live with only one parent or a grandparent or those kinds of things.  I chose this theme because I wanted to have some themes this month of things that we can and maybe should be more grateful for.

I wrote the names of each family member on a different piece of paper.  Then I laid out pictures of each family member and my son matched the pictures with the name of the person.
 We also talked about some extended family.  His grandparents, aunts, uncles, and cousins.  We didn't go beyond that, but we talked about how they are related to him and the connects there.  Then we got to work making a family tree for him.  I had printed off pictures of family members and cut them out.  He helped me glue them onto some poster board and name the people and who they were in relation to him.  Then he colored around the white space.  He did really enjoy this.
Now his family tree is proudly displayed in his bedroom and his older brothers want there own.  :) Here is a link with lots of templates if you want a pre-made one to feel out.
There are lots of books dealing with family members. Here are some that we enjoy.
The Little Critter series by Mercer Mayer has lots of family related books including "Just Grandma and Me"
The Berenstain Bear books almost always have some family related theme in them.  A fun easy reader one is called Family Reunion.
The Llama Llama books are also fun ones to read about  family relationships like "Llama, Llama Mad at Mama". 
Karen Kratz has fun board books.  My son still loves "Grandma and Me".
A few other family related books that are awesome are:
And so much more!

No comments: